News & Updates

2023 – 01/31 – Retirement plan early withdrawals: Make sure you meet the requirements to avoid a penalty

February 6, 2023
file 4 Wade Stables P.C. - Certified Public Accountants

Most retirement plan distributions are subject to income tax and may be subject to an additional 10% penalty if you take a withdrawal before age 59½. Fortunately, there are some exceptions to avoid the penalty but there are strict rules. In one case (TC Memo 2023-9), a taxpayer lost his job and took a 401(k) plan distribution before reaching age 59½. He had been diagnosed with diabetes, which he treated with insulin and other medication. The U.S. Tax Court ruled he didn’t qualify for an exception to the 10% penalty due to total and permanent disability. The reason: He had been able to work up until the distribution. We can help determine if you qualify for an exception to the penalty.



2023 – 01/24 – Why you might want to file early and answers to other tax season questions

February 4, 2023
file 3 Wade Stables P.C. - Certified Public Accountants

The IRS opened the 2023 individual income tax return filing season on Jan. 23. Even if you usually don’t file until closer to the mid-April deadline (or you file an extension), you may want to file early. It can potentially protect you from tax identity theft. In these scams, a thief uses another person’s personal information to file a fraudulent return early in the filing season and claim a bogus refund. Another benefit of early filing is that if you’re getting a refund, you’ll get it sooner. This year, the filing deadline to submit 2022 returns, file an extension and pay tax owed is April 18 for most taxpayers. If you’re requesting an extension, you’ll have until Oct. 16 to file.



2023 – 01/30 – Many tax limits affecting businesses have increased for 2023

February 3, 2023
file 2 Wade Stables P.C. - Certified Public Accountants

An array of tax-related limits affecting businesses are indexed annually, and due to high inflation, many have increased more than usual for 2023. For example, the Section 179 expensing limit has gone up to $1.16 million from $1.08 million. Also up are the income-based phase-ins for certain limits on the Sec. 199A qualified business income deduction for owners of pass-through entities. And most limits related to employer-sponsored retirement plans, such as 401(k)s, are higher this year. This includes employee contributions to 401(k) plans, which are up $2,000 this year to $22,500. Contact us if you have questions about the tax limits that will affect your business in 2023.



2023 – 01/17 – Tax-saving ways to help pay for college — once your child starts attending

February 2, 2023
file 1 Wade Stables P.C. - Certified Public Accountants

If you have a child or grandchild in college, there are tax breaks you may be able to claim after the child begins attending. For example, you can take the American Opportunity Tax Credit of up to $2,500 per student for the first four years of college, a 100% credit for the first $2,000 in tuition, fees, and books, and a 25% credit for the second $2,000. You can take a Lifetime Learning Credit of up to $2,000 per family for every additional year of college or graduate school — a 20% credit for up to $10,000 in tuition and fees. Both credits are phased out for married joint filers with modified adjusted gross income between $160,000 and $180,000, and for singles between $80,000 and $90,000.



2023 – 01/23 – Forms W-2 and 1099-NEC are due to be filed soon

January 31, 2023
file 4 Wade Stables P.C. - Certified Public Accountants

The deadline for businesses to file information returns for hired workers is almost here. By Jan. 31, 2023, employers must file Forms W-2 that show the wages paid and taxes withheld for 2022 for each employee. They must be provided to employees and filed with the Social Security Administration (SSA). Employers must also file Form W-3 to transmit Copy A of W-2 forms to the SSA. The Jan. 31 deadline also applies to Form 1099-NEC. These forms are provided to recipients and filed with the IRS to report non-employee compensation to independent contractors. Complete Form 1099-NEC to report any payment of $600 or more to a recipient. Questions or need help? Contact us.